Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Francesca Battistelli and I are two peas.

If you've never heard Francesca Battistelli's "Free to be me"... you're going to want to youtube that really quickly to give you a sense of how I feel today. 

I like to think I have it all together.

My pre-test routine goes as follows:
-wake up at 5 
-shower and get my act together
-go to starbucks and get a multigrain bagel with butter and a coffee
-study @ sbucks until 7 when school opens
-go to school and study until 8... exam time.

I've become neurotic about my pretest "flow." I don't ever remember being this weird during undergrad. Anyway, all this to say, I've got a system and I expect it to be uninterrupted. 

Being that today was a test day, my test taking machine was on full blast by 5:30. After my exam I had a little more than an hour to kill before my next lecture. Since I was up so late last night on account of being ill prepared for the exam, and due to early rising, I decided that a nap was in order. Driving home I was formulating my plan... my PLAAANNN!! There is always a plan: 
Nap for 20
curl my hair-10 min
throw all my junk in a bag for the rest of the evening (i'm trying to avoid driving home 4 times a day and funding the palaces of arab princes)
race out the door and to class by 10

All was going well: napped, junk in bag, hair curled with about 1 minute to spare. I was down to the very last moment that I knew I could leave the house and not be late to class. then it happened. I raced out the door, slammed it shut and immediately realized I didn't have my keys. "noooooooo!!!!!!" I tried to start my car without the keys... just for fun. No luck. 

My really great, well-thought-out plan did NOT allow time for such a delay. For the first few minutes of my lock out, I thought that there was still the smallest chance I could make it. I checked the front door, then the back door -then did it AGAIN. Then checked the mailbox for a key, which was there, but it didn't work in our new locks. I had been defeated both by vanity and by hastiness. As it turns out, the defeat that I felt wasn't actually defeating, it was more liberating. I had escaped my plan! Or rather, the plan had gone on without me.

The most hilarious aspect of this story is the why I had to get back to class. I had a meeting at 12:30 in which I was running for an officer position in CMDA (Christian Medical Dental Association) on campus. In order to insert my name for candidacy, I had to write a letter of intent. Here is a direct exert: "I’m very organized and am timely in all things..."...as I am locked out of my house in the rain with no hope of making it to the meeting in either an organized OR a timely fashion. 

For the next 20 minutes, I stood in my heels in the rain in the back yard trying to pry open my roommates window. Remember that part about me curling my hair which ended up in me running late which ended up getting me locked out of the house? Right. The rain promptly took care of that. Fortunately, I was able to hoist myself into her window once I jimmied the screen open. Her pug named Sam was sitting in her room staring back at me. Best scene ever: crazy lady soaking wet, half in the window, half out, talking to black pug saying , "sammy! you couldn't help me out buddy?" while Sam just stares, like "this is who i'm forced to live with."

Already late for class, I drove down town (after I had pulled myself together) and got a delicious hot tea. Back to reality and somewhat sad to be leaving my adventure, I drove to school and waited for the next hour of class to commence. As I was waiting to enter lecture, I looked down at my nicely pressed black dress pants. Across both thighs was a white-ish, chalky residue from teeter-tottering myself on the window sill. It looked like someone had taken a chalkboard eraser and drawn it across my lap from left to right. NICE. In a funny way, it was a great reminder that although I had made it back into the hum drum of school, the adventure lived on. I liked that. 

God is all over this edition of life with Sara. If you haven't spent time in the word yet today, or are feeling that you are like me sometimes, always on the run, perhaps today would be a good time to slow down and think about how God is trying to teach you to deccelerate, relax and enjoy the blessings he's bestowed upon you.

2 comments:

  1. You had me laughing, crying, and spilling my coffee all in sync with your shennigans! When you get tired of doctorin', please write! Better yet, write as you go--I'll bet this would make your first million by submitting it somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *shenanigans (darn auto correct, or fat fingers)

      Delete